We are on the brink of taking the biggest cuts to our pay and benefits that we have ever taken and we need to do something about it RIGHT NOW.
IF PROP. 30 FAILS, WE DROWN:
- SDEA has bargained the most furlough days out of any teachers union in the entire state of CA.
- If you are on Step 17, starting this January your paycheck will shrink by more than $1,000! (It’s no small cut for the rest of us, either. Take 8% of your annual pay and divide it over six checks.)
- Rather than let SDUSD have the shortest school year in the state, SDUSD will inevitably call on us educators to open our contract again and give up our fully paid family healthcare instead.
- If we say no, they’ll just lay off 1,500 people again, and our union leadership will cave.
BUT EVEN IF PROP. 30 PASSES, WE’RE JUST TREADING WATER:
- Prop. 30 keeps funding flat this year. It does not increase funding this year, and next year remains unknown.
- The District says they will still have a deficit of tens of millions of dollars next year even if it passes.
- Our new contract DOES NOT have a “no layoff” clause. “Pink Slip Season” is still coming!
- SDUSD will fill their deficit the same way they always do, by threatening layoffs and seeking concessions, and our union leadership will cave.
And either way we are going into bargaining next school year (unless our union decides once again to open our contract early to make concessions). Who do YOU want leading OUR union right now.
IT’S NOT TOO LATE. YOU CAN JOIN THE EFFORT TO RECALL BILL FREEMAN AND HIS BOARD.
A group of SDEA members has filed a recall petition of SDEA President Bill Freeman, Treasurer Manuel Gomez, and Board members Eleanor Evans, Erin Kole, and Scott Mullin. These five Board members ran for reelection on a “No Layoffs, No Concessions” platform, but then voted to buy back layoffs with deep concessions. We deserve to vote them in or out based on their real record, not what they promised us but then didn’t deliver.
You are getting this letter because no one at your site has turned in any recall petitions, and you have been recommended as a possible leader at your site. We are more than 1,000 signatures strong, but we need you.
- We have included the specific two to three petitions that your school is eligible to sign.
- Collect as many signatures as you can, as soon as you can. You can do it at a union meeting. You can make an announcement at the end of a staff meeting. Or you can go door-to-door before school, at lunch, and after school. We have found that face-to-face conversations are the most effective.
- Return the signatures NO LATER than Nov. 14. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for return instructions.
Let us know if you have any questions, would like some help, or just want to talk. We have nothing to lose and a great deal to gain by doing this work together.
—The SDEA members of the Breakfast Club, an SDEA Reform Caucus